60 Second Interview with a Vamper
Posted on 19 October 2016
Dreaming of your ultimate cycling adventure with your ultimate peloton?
Also, check out their blog for great tips, kit and bike reviews for all 'walks' of riders.
1. What is it about cycling that makes you happy?
The sense of freedom, getting outside, being in the moment. It takes me away from the dull everyday and transforms me into a braver version of myself! I also love the variety of cycling… the meander to the mountain bike to the road cycle to the spin class. I can choose a different gear to suit my mood.
2. If you could cycle anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
This is such a good question and has got me all wanderlusty! I’d go on a road tour through the north of Italy onto Slovenia, stopping in different towns along the way. How cool would that be?
3. What inspired you to move into the world of cycling apparel?
I’d always had a burning desire to set-up my own business. All I was missing was the confidence. I reached a point where it was do-or-regret. I was seeing all these girls on their bike dressed in builder’s vests or oversized nauseous-yellow jackets and thought “there has to be a better way”. So it was a combination of unrestrained ambition and spotting that gap. I’ve found that confidence has come from just doing it (and stop thinking about it).
4. Which other brands do you admire? Who's producing exciting kit in your opinion?
I really like Queen of the Mountains. Their kit is top notch and I love what they stand for – empowering women together. We need more of that.
5. What is your favourite ride?
I love my commute into Dublin. I pass the seafront, cycle through a tree-lined park, battle with traffic and potholes and then end up in my charming city. That’s where my heart is, in making an adventure of the everyday.
6. If you could go for a bike ride with anyone at all, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
John Bishop – great comedian and cyclist. I bet he’d keep you entertained through the tough climbs, good for morale! Actually, can I have a team of people please? I’d like Kevin McCloud from Grand Designs as he’d be able to get you through any tricky situation in any European country as he can speak every language. Lastly, Marianne Vos to push us and Mary Berry to keep us sustained and give me some business advice. This peleton might have different stamina levels but we’d get there in the end!
7. What song is guaranteed to get you in the mood for a ride, no matter what time you went to bed?
Chemical Brothers - Galvanize
8. What has been your cycling highlight of 2016 so far?
The day before I had my second baby I went for a family cycle and had ice cream at the end of the pier. The next day my baby boy was born. You can’t get more of a highlight than that!
9. And finally: what's in store for As Bold As? What can we look forward to seeing from you in the coming year?
We’re ambitious for As Bold As and we’d love to expand our collection. People have really responded to our colour range and casual-yet-technical fabrics so we’re going to build on that.